Allowing the Sunlight InHome furnishings and simple window treatments can transform a regular porch into a warm-weather living room. Take full advantage of the capacity of a confined deck by creating a living room that's comfortable much of the year.
In the room at right, interior decorator Susan Heller wanted a living location that also would work as a potting shed and mini-greenhouse. She searched pre-owned stores, flea markets, and salvage locations to find home furnishings to produce an inviting home.
Thrift-store tables are useful for drinks and books, and a rustic table arranges houseplants. Wall-hung frosted glass vases include a refined balance to plants in baskets and pots.
To give the patio a casual and breezy feel, large muslin squares, hemmed and hung pennant-style from bamboo rods, let light in and soften the screens. (If sun control is a concern, alternative roll-up bamboo blinds.) The bamboo rods snap into closet-rod holders attached to both sides of the deep window frame.
navigate here If you wish to produce your very own garden space, keep these embellishing tips, from the Better Homes and Gardens ® Garden Style book (see book summary below), in mind:
• Be cautious not to upstage the outdoors. Windows not only let in the light, however the natural environments. Work the scenery into the general image.
• Keep the enhancing simple. Chaise lounges, for example, are natural embellishing choices because they are low slung and don't obstruct the view. Revealed wood legs produce a lighter, more open look.
• Use location carpets to pull the different elements of the space together.
• Select a centerpiece and embellish around it. Attempt grouping furniture around a pedestal with a potted plant on top.
• Use window coverings minimally to manage the incoming light however not clutter the architecture. Pleated shades diffuse the light to a soft glow and stack to within 2 inches. Some shades can be operated by push-button control; there's no fret about cables and they're a great solution to windows in high places.
• Accessorize with things that have suggesting to you.
• Add touches of greenery to warm and soften the room.
Tips on how to Order Yard Style
Much better Homes and Gardens ® Garden Style shows you how to utilize indoor and outdoor spaces, plants, furnishings, art, and accessories to express garden style in any region. Within this 224-page hardcover book, more than 400 color pictures, five before-and-after makeover projects, and 300 resources for identifying ornamental home furnishings, accessories, and plants throughout the nation inspire you to give the outdoors inside year-round.